1:1문의

Driven from Home/Chapter XXII

페이지 정보

profile_image
작성자 Scott
댓글 0건 조회 7회 작성일 24-09-20 17:40

본문

bar-billiards-image2.jpg

As I smoked I heard the game begin again-with a miss in baulk this time, for the whirr was a short one. Sometimes there was a double click and a whirr and another click. There was a whirr and a click, and both sounds could only have been made by one thing-a billiard-ball. There was no insult in his choice of the term. Unless the green is a private one the talker has as much right to be there and to laugh or talk as you have to play golf, and every player should try and keep this fact in mind. Meanwhile Von Baumser, at the other end, was floundering about with a broad smile upon his face and an elderly lady tucked under his right arm, while he held her disengaged hand straight out at right angles, as if she had been a banjo. The middle-aged player perhaps realises the fact that golf is a game, while to the youngster it is business: the veteran plays philosophically, and if he does this he may very likely find himself putting respectably. The major paused and cleared his throat huskily, while the widow remained silent, with her head bent and her eyes intent upon the pattern of the carpet.

This time it remained there. Mrs. Scully's exuberant hospitality included, as already intimated, not only her own friends, but those of her fellow-boarders, so that from an early hour the rooms began to fill, and by nine o'clock there was hardly space for the dancers. The landlady herself had entered heart and soul into the business, and as all the boarders had received invitations for themselves and their friends, they co-operated in every possible manner to make the evening a success. Pockets: Carom billiards tables do not have pockets at all, as the game does not involve potting balls but rather focuses on hitting object balls in a specific manner. And you're a lord of the creation, Mr. Caudle; and you can stay away from the comforts of your blessed fireside, and the society of your own wife and children-though, to be sure, you never thought anything of them-to push ivory balls about with a long stick upon a green table-cloth. Each of the balls has a diameter of 2 1/16 inches. Snooker Cues: Snooker cues are lighter (16-18 ounces) and longer (57-58 inches) with a thinner shaft and smaller tip diameter (9-10.5mm). This design enables precise cue ball control for the smaller snooker balls and the intricate positional play required in snooker, a game emphasizing strategy and finesse.

I have mentioned golf and billiards together as the two games that give the hardest test of nerve, and the reason is this, that in both games strength is the all-important matter: strokes that require calculation of strength want nerve, but frequently are played without it. For this reason I shut the door. After a long, long while, the game stopped, and the door banged. Finally there is the case of billiards, not a game that is very closely allied to cricket, but one from which much may be learned. Up till that hour I had sympathised with Mr. Besant's method of handling them, as shown in The Strange Case of Mr. Lucraft and other Stories. SOMEWHERE in England where there are books and pictures and plays and shop windows to look at, and thousands of men who spend their lives in building up all four, lives a gentleman who writes real stories about the real insides of people; and his name is Mr. Walter Besant.

There are also terrible ghosts of women who have died in child-bed. In due time I found my ghost, or ghosts rather, for there were two of them. This credulity, unfortunately, extends to ghosts. And here is a second one, bigger still, with four courtyards, a park beyond the river, a cathedral of its own, a still bigger Gothic dining-hall, rafters five hundred years old, a gallery of old portraits, still older traditions and still more famous students’ college with three names. Major Tobias Clutterbuck, and put his arm for the second time around his companion. And I have seen lawns where only the masters and not the undergraduates may walk, and staircases where only the graduates and not the students may play billiards; I have seen professors in rabbits’ fur and cloaks as red as lobsters, I have seen the graduates kneel and kiss the hand of the Vice-Chancellor; of all these wonders I have been able to make a drawing only of one venerable college provost, who poured out for me a glass of sherry at least as old as the elder Pitt. Phil Stark was resolved not to release his hold upon his old acquaintance. We propose to go one better, and draw up a schedule of the different conditions of barring under which matches may be played.

If you have any queries regarding exactly where and how to use what is billiards, you can get in touch with us at our internet site.